About Me

My photo
My name is Jessica Ullman and I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I now study sustainable energy management at Unity College in Unity, Maine. Growing up in a huge city I always saw trash on the streets. My father would frequently pick up the trash that was on our block which taught me a great life lesson which is to protect the Earth. He is not with me today and so I want to honor his memory and bring sustainability methods to my hometown. When I came to Maine I realized how much cleaner it is. When I went to the cafeteria I saw that they have a composting center. I have never seen one before and I thought it was like the most amazing thing in the world. The school also recycles a huge amount. Back home growing up I loved how my family has always recycled. There is so much that needs to be done in the city of Philadelphia about the lack of their recycling and composting laws. Recycling and composting should be enforced and there are numerous ways in how this can be done. Recycling and composting is so important for climate change and so it is necessary for all Philadelphians to be informed and take proper actions.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Water Bottle Project for Earth Day

Junior year I took Advanced Placement Environmental Science with the best teacher on the planet, Ms. Cohen. After our AP test we had about a month until the end of the school year, so we focused on our Earth Day projects. This was a huge celebration on our patio. Students had tables where they presented their projects. There are games and lots of stuff to buy like water bottles. My friend Brianna and I did a project where we focused on plastic water bottle waste and getting better drinking water for the school. We learned that America only recycles a fourth of the plastic water bottles they use and it could take 500 to 1000 years for a plastic water to decompose in a landfill. We informed our school about the importance of recycling and reusing. We bought water bottles with our school's logo on it and we made around $500 and with that money we bought a filtered water fountain.

20140604_004024_resized.jpg
It was actually really awesome because we were the first school in the area to have one. There are 218 schools in the school district with 53 high schools; which is the eighth biggest school district in the country with about 135,000 students. Once I thought about it like that, I was really proud of myself. We even had a ribbon cutting ceremony when we got it and the superintendent came. This project made me get into sustainability and I found I have a passion for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment