About Me

My photo
My name is Jessica Ullman and I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I now study sustainable energy management at Unity College in Unity, Maine. Growing up in a huge city I always saw trash on the streets. My father would frequently pick up the trash that was on our block which taught me a great life lesson which is to protect the Earth. He is not with me today and so I want to honor his memory and bring sustainability methods to my hometown. When I came to Maine I realized how much cleaner it is. When I went to the cafeteria I saw that they have a composting center. I have never seen one before and I thought it was like the most amazing thing in the world. The school also recycles a huge amount. Back home growing up I loved how my family has always recycled. There is so much that needs to be done in the city of Philadelphia about the lack of their recycling and composting laws. Recycling and composting should be enforced and there are numerous ways in how this can be done. Recycling and composting is so important for climate change and so it is necessary for all Philadelphians to be informed and take proper actions.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Can Recycling Fix the Economy in Philadelphia?

Photo by Samuel Borges 

Recycling in the city of Philadelphia generates revenue, reduces garbage disposal costs, and creates jobs. They have a recycling rewards program which pays citizens to recycle. So far this program has been a success. The program is called Recyclebank. Besides getting money back for recycling there are so many pros of recycling. The first one that I will talk about for this post are jobs. In Philly the unemployment rate is 6.8%. Many of those people come from poor, minority backgrounds. They are not informed about the ways recycling can help them. If they recycle more, there would be more jobs needed in recycling centers. These jobs do not need college degree sometimes, and so it works in their favor for the most part. In 2010 there were 3 million jobs in green goods and services stated by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. If more people had jobs in the city, then they could be spending more money helping our businesses. Less money could be used for the unemployed and that money could go towards helping our city be green. Some people could argues that recycling sites are unsafe and unclean. At some sites there is waste and debris dealt with in the same building. This can lead to the formation of diseases. Sometimes there is runoff which could effect the recyclables in the building and pollute the water around it. If recycling centers are hiring more people then more people could be more effective and could spread it all over the city. My counter argument to these statements are there needs to be more supervisors of the facilities, so that trash and recyclables will not mix. Most recycling facilities are separate from trash facilities, and so they would not go near each other. Problems at centers would not happen if government surveyors would do their part and see if any of the place is defected. There could be more money spent on opening new recycling centers. Jobs are needed in the city of Philadelphia and recycling might be one of the solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment